The Russian cyber-attack on women is reminiscent of the infamous “Naked Russian Women” campaign launched by Russian mobsters in the 1990s, according to a former Russian intelligence official.
The man, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media, told The Next Tuesday that the campaign targeted women in Russia who were considered politically vulnerable and vulnerable to blackmail.
The Russian government had long denied it was behind the campaign, but the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) admitted to the public in early 2017 that the Russian government was behind it.
In 2017, Russian cyber security firm Kaspersky Labs warned that it was detecting at least four Russian government-backed groups engaged in the campaign targeting the public and political groups.
The two groups targeted were the Russian National Guard, the Defense Ministry’s Security Service, and the FSB, the Federal Security Agency, a Kasperska analyst told TheNextWeb.
The FSB was not identified by name.
Kaspersky Lab also reported that the FSM, the successor to the Russian intelligence agency known as the GRU, was behind some of the Russian campaigns.
The next-generation version of the GRP, also known as SVR, was banned by Russia last year, but has since resurfaced and is believed to have ties to the FSU.
In January 2017, the Russian Defense Ministry claimed that the GRM, which was created in the early 2000s, was responsible for the recent cyber attacks on the United States.
The U.S. has denied involvement.
A new report published Monday by the Washington-based cybersecurity firm Trend Micro found that the groups behind the attacks on U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron’s office and the U.N. had a direct connection to Russian government intelligence.
In March 2017, it was revealed that the U-K.
parliament had been targeted by Russian hackers, and Russian officials blamed the attack on U-N.
cyber chief Irina Bokova.
The U.U.S.-Russia relationship has been strained since Trump became president.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman said Monday that Putin and Trump had spoken by phone in the past 24 hours and that Putin expressed regret about the attack.
But a senior Russian lawmaker has denied the allegations.
Russia’s foreign ministry said Monday it would investigate the allegations and said that Moscow would work with the U, U.A.E., and the International Criminal Court.
The United States has condemned the Russian cyber attacks, but White House spokesman Eric Schultz said the U and U.F.C. have not yet made a statement on the matter.